Good oral hygiene should start earlier than you usually tend to think old. And the infant mouth care, along with the acquisition of the habit of maintenance, will mean that the adult can keep your teeth for life. Therefore, it is important that this practice will begin in the newborn, without waiting the first teeth appear, using a cotton swab moistened with water.
This is done for several reasons; one of them, obviously, is to keep the mouth clean baby remains, and another is to go this habit. In this sense, usually through ignorance, many parents do not initiate oral hygiene of their children until about two years (age at which you can already start using toothbrushes). And often at that age can have it first appeared caries.
For this routine becomes essential in the daily life of any baby or child, should be performed in the most enjoyable way possible:
- Conduct hygiene at a time when the child is relaxed and in a good mood, and not wait for the previous time to go to bed is when you are tired or asleep.
- Negotiate and give options. You can preset brushes we deem appropriate for the child and leave him to choose which you want to use. If the brush has color or favorite character, will excite more brushing.
- Suggest an enjoyable activity for the child, not by way of blackmail or reward, but as an incentive to do after brushing.
- Avoid threats, punishments and negative arguments. It is always advisable to show the positive side of brushing: We brush to care for, just as we do with hair…
- Reserve a toy when brushing. You can use a puppet, a doll or an interesting object with which the child can only play for brushing teeth.